Friday, July 27, 2007

 

What do Mud Houses and Rural America have in Common

I’ve noticed too how city houses are always made out of concrete bricks and rural houses are always made out of mud. You can begin to tell when you are arriving in a town when you begin to see brick houses dotting the landscape between mud ones. I was trying to think about what a parallel in the states would be. It seems that rural and urban houses are made just about the same. Then I thought about condos. I think condos and apartment complexes are our cement brick houses. Once they begin you know you are getting close to a supermarket.

We just passed over the river Pungue and passed all of the straw houses that line its banks. The houses are straw because it is not worth making ones out of mud in the floodzone of the river. They are quick and easy to build and rebuild and allow people to live close to the river to catch and sell fish. In fact the bridge over the river Pungue is lined with mostly kids who brave death and hold out wriggling fish and gigantic fresh water shrimp to the passing cars/trucks and bycicles. I haven’t yet stopped to get any gigantic shrimp but I think it is just about time for me to try and cook some…head and all unlike the aforementioned cow.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?