Friday, July 27, 2007

 

How to Get a Cow Head in Beira

I have realized that part of why I haven’t updated my blog in so long is that, given I have been here almost a year, things don’t seem new or odd anymore. And really, who wants to hear about someone’s normal day or normal weekend. But upon reflection I do have interesting things to say. Like about animal parts. It’s funny here how you have to order specific animal parts from people who are going to specific locations. For example, I love beef liver. I really really do. But you just can’t get beef liver at your local market. Here is how you get beef liver in Beira, Moz. You ask around and find out who is going to the riverside town of Buzi where they have lots of cows. Then you talk to a bunch of other people and figure out what parts of the cow they want. When you have organized just about a whole cow than you give that list to the person going to Buzi and wait for your part when they get back. Your part is often under the head with its tongue rolling around. And, though I do like beef tongue, I have not yet brought myself to order it because it comes with the whole head and I really have no clue as to what to do with the other head parts and they certainly won’t fit in my freezer until I figure it out.

Comments:
Shit. I have a picture of that nastiness but this asshole program won't let me post it. But it was, indeed, a cow head in the back of the aid vehicle -- brought to you by the American people -- coming back from Buzi. I loved it. I don't, however, have much use for animal heads.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?