Tuesday, December 26, 2006

 

Overworked and Hot

Wow, I just realized how long it has been since I’ve updated my blog. It hasn’t actually been all that long but it feels like a lifetime to me. I’m in a roller coaster ride here in Moz. Some days I feel like I just don’t like it here—AT ALL—and that all I want to do is get on the first plane out of here. Other days I feel good and feel like my work is important and that I need to stay and follow this through. I’m not so thrilled about general cultural things here. This country does not grab me the way that Brazil did. There are few opportunities to dance, to go out, to interact with people. I’m all work and very little play and that is making Molly a sad girl.

My personal life is suffering but I have one good friend and my roommate Magda who is a total gift. Between the two of them I get out occasionally and at least I generally have someone to vent to when I get home. The other night I took matters into my own hands and organized a large group of co-workers to go out dancing. I stayed completely sober because I was the driver but my co-workers all got lit and let their booties shake. It was a lot of fun.

Today is the day after Christmas and I definitely feel like I missed the whole holiday. Not only is it broiling hot but I was alone for most of Christmas eve and Christmas until my friend Manuela came over to cook and my friends family (mostly Muslim) came over for lunch. My family finally called too and it was great to talk to them.

I’m trying to think of interesting stories to tell but its mostly just work. I’m trying to develop a model for home-based care here and develop monitoring and evaluation systems to go with this model. This all has to be coordinated with the national health care system with is proving to be difficult. Most people are so immersed in just trying to do all the tasks that they are required to do…when I come and tell them that systems are going to change and the model is going to change I can understand the look of exhaustion that this brings to their faces. But I have absolute faith that this system will work, it will be great, we will be able to help thousands of patients take care of themselves, take their drugs, make it to their appointments, and learn about how to stop the further spread of this horrible disease.

My energy is failing a bit but I expect to be revitalized by my trip to South Africa to visit Jens, Arnold, Isabel and Rebecca!!! I’m so excited that I could pee but that would just make me overheat even more. Send me your Christmas stories!!! I would love to hear what everyone has been doing. Much much love and holiday cheer!!!!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?