Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 

My driving test

I took my driving test today. I passed!!! I’m now all legal. It was quite an ordeal though. First we had a meeting all day long (8am-4pm) where everyone just sat around and complained. Ugh! We left and I was already tired and stressed from that encounter but I had to take advantage of the day because Pablo is returning to the states this week and I would have to wait a long time to take the test again.

Everyday after work the drivers and cars of HAI drive everyone to their respective houses—recolha is the name for this. This is a perk that no one wants to mess with. So when I said that I needed a car to take my driving test there was some protest from people still in the office after the meeting. Pablo’s solution was that I would do the recolha and drive everyone home. Yikes!!! Not only do I have to take the test, I have to drive with 8 people in a hulking Land Cruiser through the potholed streets of Beira driving on the left-hand side of the street. Oh well, I’m always up for a challenge. I dropped everyone off safe and sound and there were not even any near misses. I weaved in and out of the people, kids, chickens, goats, potholes, crazy drivers, bicycalists etc.!! All of this from the right-hand side of the manual car. Yay!!! I think the combination of learning to drive from my father (who was great but crazy), driving in Manhattan, Brazil, and finally in Cambridge on the left-hand side of the road, set me up well for this challenge. It was like playing frogger with the controls upside down. Whoohooo!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?