Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

My tiny dancer

The reason that I am in NY for a week is that my sister-cousin (no I don't mean this in an Appalachian sort of way...she's more like a sister than a cousin is what this is meant to say), her husband and my three year-old niece live in NY.

Three years ago, I was lucky enough to be there for my niece’s birth. I snuggled her soon after and spent a month in a cramped one-bedroom Manhattan apartment helping my cousin feed, burp, and change her. I felt quite close to my tiny niece.

Then I left. I went back to Seattle and had to be satisfied with occasional quick visits, pictures and stories and short phone conversations in which she invariably thought I was my sister. I was therefore scared to find out if she would remember and recognize me when I got in to Manhattan. Unfortunately she was asleep in the bedroom. I visited with my sister-cousin for a while and then quietly lay down on the air mattress beside Isabel's bed.

I woke up to find a little girl (she had still been a baby last time I saw her) staring at me from her bed with her thumb shoved firmly in her mouth. I was worried that she would be frightened by some stranger sleeping on the floor next to her so I quietly said "Isabel do you remember me?" She nodded and blinked her big eyes and continued to stare. "Isabel do you know who I am?" She nodded again. "Isabel do you want to give me a hug?" Then my beautiful little niece nodded vigorously and climbed down, ran to my bed lay her head on my chest and fell asleep again. We have been inseparable ever since.

Comments:
So glad you had such a sweet moment! I'm scared my little niece will forget me while I'm gone.

Miss you already too!

MUA!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?