Tuesday, September 26, 2006

 

First Full Day at Work

Well my first day is done and I’m exhausted. I don’t know how frequent my entries are going to be now. Sigh. But it is very interesting work. Today I just went over the information that has already been gathered from focus groups with church leaders, health officials, and people living with HIV/AIDS. They were asked about HIV treatment and their communities. Fascinating stuff. The Evangelical church that was huge in Brazil is also here and some of the members seem to have the same take on sickness…that it is caused by bad spirits from other animistic religions and that the only way to get that bad spirit out is some intense praying. What does this mean for HIV? Well it means that you can be cured by Jesus Christ. I bet those missionaries that I met on the plane will be pleased as punch to hear this.

Then I met with all the people who are conducting these interviews and I’m excited to start to work with them. Cungura, the guy who I will be working with, is great and very down to earth and funny. He’s excited for my help…I only hope I can live up to his expectations. He drove me to the Day Hospital (this is the name for the HIV/AIDS clinic inside the main hospital) and Mark and Lorina (a woman who runs a transmission from mother-to-child HIV study and whom I might live with!!!) showed me around. I was very impressed with the Day Hospital. It was spacious and organized and very clean.

I came home to cook dinner. Something that is easy since I can get pretty much get the same ingredients that I could get in Brazil. In fact, in general, I feel very comfortable and at home. It is so similar in so many ways. If you just take out the upper and middle classes from Brazil…whalla…you’re in Mozambique (ok and put more clothes on everyone--there is no tiny hotpants around here). I just wish that I could live in a Mozambican neighborhood. Unfortunately I would be the only white person there and therefore would not be particularly safe. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I have to live outside of society for a while. And don’t worry Mom and Sis…safety is my priority. Hopefully I’ll be so immersed in work that I won’t be too depressed about this.

Miss you all…many kisses and hugs

Oh and yesterday I saw something new...giant turkeys being herded by a little boy with a stick in the center of town. I'm familiar with goats and chickens and such but the turkeys I think are my favorite. I might try to track him down closer to thanksgiving and see if he sell me one...yummy.

Comments:
We have got figure out a how to get a flock of those turkeys to the FPC. We'd make a killing off of them - not to mention a scrumdiddlyumptious dinner, complete with mashed potatos, gravy, stuffing. [insert Homer drooling]
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?