Saturday, September 23, 2006

 

Discovering the Joy Again

22 Sept 8:09 am (5pm for me)

Today has been much much better. I finally feel like I’m getting into the groove of Beira. I can understand everyone…this is a huge plus. And there are a thousand things that remind me of Brazil and make me feel at home. I made a friend, Bruno, who took me all over the city and has already taught me a lot. I also moved out of the funky hotel and into my friends Ana and Pablo’s house. Unfortunately they left but my colleague Mark arrived and I have so much work to do already that I have to put all my feelings of loneliness aside.

I went to visit the hospital yesterday but it wasn’t planned. I fell in a hole. Yes…you can laugh. I fell into a drainage hole that didn’t have a cover. I fell up to my knee. Luckily I was with Ana and Pablo and they took me to the hospital so that I could get a tetanus shot. I needed the shot because something poked into my knee. There were three little holes that went very deep. It was quite gross and I bled profusely. But now I’m just sore and walk with a little limp.

The experience at the hospital was very interesting. It was so so so so basic! Keep in mind that this is one of three central hospitals in the country. It had very little in the way of supplies, just walls and a floor and some basic instruments, but the staff there treated me well. That is until I went into the room to actually get my shot. I asked the woman to give me the shot in the right arm (since I’m left-handed). She didn’t say a word, just grabbed my left arm and jammed the needle in. Now I have a sore arm and a sore knee.

But I feel joy again. I feel joy in this place that I didn’t feel yesterday. There is a lot of sadness and it is still awfully awfully poor but there is joy here too.

Comments:
I feel your pain, although the woman who gave my shot actually gave it in my non-dominant arm.

Good blog here (I especially enjoyed the Ms Mexico/NY Jets story)!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?